Seeing as I just turned 29 last week, I thought it might be fun to share some lessons I feel I have learned in my 29 years of life thus far :-)
If anyone else has an important life lesson they feel is worth sharing as well, please comment and share yours!
30 Lessons I Have Learned in my 30 Years Thus Far...
1. Very often, it is worth the risk. Especially if "it" relates to love.
2. It isn't so much about what you're doing, but often more so about who you have by your side.
3. The quality of your friendships and romantic relationship either enriches your life or detracts from it.
4. Moving to a totally new city is one of the scariest, most daunting experiences of one's life initially. But. If you embrace it with open arms and put effort into building a life and good relationships in the new place, it can be immensely rewarding and have wonderful results. Better then you imagined.
5. You can choose your friends, so be choosy. It affects so much of your life, who you spend your time with.
6. It's better to risk hurt and vulnerability by saying "too much" then to regret not having said more.
7. You learn who your real friends are when you go through the big stuff: marriage, big moves, divorces & breakups, job changes, death of a loved one, etc. Any big life transition or challenge. The real ones will remain in your life.
8. It really is true. Your real friends know all about you, and yet they see your beauty and love you still. They may not always agree or understand, but they still hold you in high esteem.
9. This has been one of the harder lessons for me to learn thus far. It is rarely a good thing to react quickly/impulsively to a situation that causes you to feel intense negative emotions (like anger, jealousy, insecurity, etc). It is almost always better to wait. Let intense emotions settle. Give it lots of thought. Then respond and react if you still feel it is the right thing to do.
10. I believe in life lasting romantic love. Absolutely. You just choose to continue placing your whole heart into this relationship each day.
11. Sometimes one of the most relaxing and wonderful things is to get lost in a great book. Allowing yourself to be pulled into another story/world.
12. One of the best things you can do with your heart is to give it to someone deserving, and then love them deeply, with all of it.
13. Be open with those you care about regarding your affections for them.
14. Life remains fulfilling and exciting as long as you continue to challenge yourself, try new things, grow and embrace change.
15. Find the courage to let go of relationships that do not inspire you, feel positive or are not good for you (friendships or romantic and even in some sad cases, family).
16. Once your health diminishes, it will be hard to get back. So put some efforts and thought into maintaining it while you have it, so that your health remains.
17. The great people in your life, the ones you know are worth it, put time and effort into staying close with them. Over one's lifetime, this will be one of your most rewarding pursuits.
18. Travel once totally and completely alone. It's a character-expanding, peaceful and exciting experience.
19. Enjoy the little things. A warm tea on a cold afternoon, an unexpected phone call from someone you love, a great conversation, a hug from a friend, cupcakes, a great book. Put together, all the little things amount to something big.
20. Be interested in others. Other people always have had experience that we have not, things they can teach us that we do not know, unique insights to life we will not have, etc. Learning about others and being open to their stories and insights will enrich and expand our own life views.
21. Travel as much as you can. It's such an exciting, memorable, adventurous and fun thing. It makes you a more interesting and open-minded person. Always worth it.
22. Forgive when it's deserved.
23. Don't forget to laugh and have fun :-D it's such an important thing. One we all too often forget as adults.
24. Life is short. It goes by fast. Don't forget this.
25. One mistake can completely alter the entire course of your life in a flash. This is an important thing to remember when considering an impulsive desire when balanced against long term life happiness and what one has to lose.
26. Don't forget to live instead of getting into a rut of just existing day-to-day.
27. Try to continue to learn new things often throughout life. A new skill, about a new topic, have a new experience. These things not only keep your mind sharp but also make you more interested and continue to keep you growing.
28. Have an activity that you do in your spare time that really excites you and brings you enjoyment. Something you can lose yourself in. If you don't have one, put the effort into trying out different things so you can find one. It's worth it.
29. Enjoy your own company. This is an important thing, in terms of inner peace, reflection, self esteem, etc.
30. If it is both terrifying and amazing, you should definitely pursue it.
31. And one more...find the people who, when you are in their company, time seems to slip by in a flash. If you lose track of time with someone, it indicates this is someone you really connect well with and enjoy.