As we are still finding ourselves within the chilly depths of winter (especially my fellow New Englanders, who I know are currently buried in the snow!!), I thought it might be fitting to post a recipe for some delicious comfort food! This is, hands down, one of my favorite dishes in the world. It´s a dish that gives me a small wave of childhood nostalgia each time I eat it. But mostly it just fills me with cheesy, warm, cozy tastiness. YUM!
Without further ado, here the the recipe my Mom used to make me often as a child for Macaroni and Cheese.
(I made a couple of small additions to the original recipe, to add a bit more tasty twists).
Brookie’s Childhood Favorite: Macaroni and Cheese
2 tablespoons of flour
2 tablespoons of margarine or butter
2 cups of Cheddar Cheese, grated (my favorite brand for all you New Englander´s is Cabot)
½ box of medium shell pasta noodles, cooked al dente and drained
1 ¼ cup of milk
2-3 tablespoons of apple juice
20 Ritz crackers, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C.
2. Melt the butter in a glass baking dish in the microwave.
3. Stir in the flour and milk. Mix well to break up the flour.
4. Heat the mixture in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Then stir with a fork or wire whisk to break up any lumps. Repeat this cycle (microwaving and stirring) 5-6 time, until the mixture is thick like a sauce.
5. At this point, the pasta should be finished cooking as well.
6. Add the grated cheese, apple juice, salt and pepper to the sauce. Stir well, making sure all the cheese is melted and the apple juice has blended into the sauce. Add cooked noodles. Stir with a large spoon to make sure all the noodles are covered with cheese sauce.
7. Top the macaroni and cheese with crushed Ritz crackers.
8. Bake in the over for 10-15 minutes or so, uncovered.
9. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Brookie recommends with a side of vegetables (any, choose your favorite) and garlic bread. Oh yes!
Post a Comment