With summer time still in full force, I began putting together some fun lists in a few different categories, all related to, of course, summer!
As an original New England-er (which means I am used to only having roughly 3 months of true warmth each year), I learned to really make the most of summer while its that time of year. I suspect this is something other New Englanders are familiar with. I refuse to be one of those people who complains when its winter, wishing for summer and then continue to complain when summer arrives that now its too hot and I am wishing for winter. No way. How much sense does that make...?? Absolutely none.
Summer is the BEST!
The days are longer, one can spend more time outside which therefore opens the activity option doors greatly, summer even feels better. While in the swing of summer, I experience feelings of freedom...possibility...excitement...free spirited-ness...spontaneity. Life just feels more open in general. Happier. Brighter.
Therefore, I hope you enjoy my own personal lists of best summer movies, books, TV shoes, foods, desserts, places and activities. May they add some inspiration to your remaining summer days ;-)
(Note: None of the items on these lists are in any particular order)
Best of summer MOVIES
1. Vicky Christina Barcelona
2. Now and Then
3. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
4. Somethings Gotta Give
5. Its Complicated
6. Old School
7. Almost Famous
9. Dirty Dancing
10. The Sandlot
11. Deja Vu
12. Stupid, Crazy Love (one of my favorites <3)
Best of summer TV Shows
1. Friday Night Lights (another big time favorite of mine)
Best of summer BOOKS!!!
1. A Hundred Summers
2. The Last Letter from Your Lover
3. The Sweet Life in Paris
4. The Goldfinch (I am actually currently entrenched in this one for the second time now!! Mind-blowing).
5. Life by Keith Richards
6. The Innocents
7. The Marriage Plot
Best of summer FOODS
2. Salmon (or really any grilled fish)
3. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries
4. Yogurt with Fruit
6. Iced tea or lemonade
9. Grilled anything! (Pizza, veggies, even donuts! The sky is the limit)
11. Pomegranate Seeds
12. Guacamole. Mmmmmmm.
|Grilled donuts!!! Shockingly good :-D|
Best of summer ACTIVITIES
1. Picnics in the park
2. Swimming, of course
3. Beach with a book
4. Drinks at an outdoor cafe/restaurant around dusk (when its beginning to cool and night is drawing near)
5. Mini golf
6. Sunday afternoon naps, the best.
7. Road trips
8. Weekend trip away
9. Amusement parks and roller coasters
10. Movie nights
12. Bike rides
14. Drinks on a Friday or Saturday night with great friends
Best of summer DESSERTS
1. Ice cream!!!
2. Root beer floats
3. Strawberry Shortcake
4. Berries and sweet cream
6. Any kind of fruit pie.
8. Cheesecake ;-) its always a good season for this.
Best of summer PLACES to visit (of course, there are literally hundreds of great places to visit/spend time during the summer, so these are my own personal favorites)
1. Cinque Terre, Italy
2. Lake Superior in Marquette, Michigan
3. Balboa Island in Laguna Beach, California
4. Lisbon, Portugal
5. Nahant Beach in Massachusetts
6. Newburyport, Massachusetts
8. Newport, Rhode Island
9. Portsmouth, New Hampshire
10. New Hampshire White Mountains area
|My sister and I enjoying ice cream on Balboa Island!!!|
|A typical house on Balboa Island. So charming, beachy and inviting.|
|Cinque Terre, Italy|
|Lake Superior in Marquette, Michigan. Where I have gone almost every summer from roughly age 7-14.|
|My family's little lake cottage on Lake Superior <3|
|One of the countless summers with my family on Lake Superior growing up. Can you spot me right in the middle? ;-)|
|Belem, Portugal (just outside of Lisbon!)|
|Barbados. Stunning water, eh??|
|Barbados, pink sand beaches.|
What are some of your favorite summer: books, TV shows, movies, foods or activities??